Have you met GOYA in your business yet. GOYA is the the saying that teaches you to “Get off Your ASS”!
(Can I say ass in a blog without the thought police condemning me?)
There are many times when the secret to business success is doing activities. Ideally these actions are based on a plan and the tactics in the plan. The activities are purposeful and move you closer to your goals.
But while it is good to be still sometimes, it is critical that you find actions that move you forward. Here are 15 things to do that will help you GOYA in your business.
- Meet someone new. - This could be through social media like LinkedIn or even Facebook but it needs to be someone who can either solve a problem for you or whose need or want you can meet. Cold call them. Visit them. Get introduced to them.
- Talk to someone you are building a relationship with. This could be in person, by phone or Skype or on some chat or social media site. Build a relationship and start asking what they need or want and see if you can help them. Remember that sometimes if you refer them on, this will help them.
- Start, Progess or Complete one task you have been putting off. This is sometimes a challenge as you lack the resources to do the task but making a decision to start can include start looking for the resources. And completing may still leave the review before submission step.
- Review a piece of work and make a decision what you will do with it. This could be you repromote, redo, resubmit, rework or just TRASH.
- Clean out a file drawer or a folder on your computer. This is like the previous one and the purpose is to remove any roadblocks but also to discover that hidden tip, tool or resource to move you forward with a task. And it is much better than playing solitaire or farmville.
- Answer unanswered emails or letters. Clearing out your correspondence can help you find new business or renew old acquaintances.
- Pay your bills. And if you lack the funds, then find a way to pay your bills by looking for new work, new opportunities or something to sell on EBay.
- Update your cashflow forecast. Having a cashflow forecast and updating it regularly is one of the fastest ways to check if you are making enough sales to cover your business expenses. And only through cashflow will you know what you need to do next to keep your business going.
- Read something that will help your business be better. This means avoid the newspaper, the doom and gloom merchants and anything irrelevant. Take time every day to feed your mind something that will benefit your business.
- Go exercise or do something physical. Whether you walk, swim, golf or bowl, when you find that you have no idea what to do next, by becoming physically active, you find that you can think better.
- Talk to a Supplier and find out what is happening in their business. Your suppliers see a different set of trends and events and they too want to grow their business so talk to them.
- Talk to an existing client. Find out what is happening in their business. Take them to coffee or bring coffee and a muffin to them. See if they can give you a referral or possibly some new business.
- Talk to the longest serving member in your business. They have seen most things before and if you talk to them they probably know what is happening in your business better than any report will tell you.
- Make a video about what is good about your business or what you love about your business. The video may never be used anywhere and you can do it with your webcam. The purpose of the video is for you to focus on what you love in your business.
- Talk to the newest member of your team. Find out how they are fitting in and if they see any way that things could be done better. Fresh eyes often see things that the more experienced have accepted.
I am sure you can think of one or 2 more so please leave your suggestions in the comments. Could be a really good little book of GOYAs coming up with some help from my friends.
Passionate Purposeful Performer