Brett McFall at the World Internet Summit in June 2012 provided attendees with a list of 10 excuses people use to prevent succeeding with an internet business.
I have adapted these below to fit ALL business owners.
The excuses you need to stop using if you want to be successful.
- “I lack knowledge”. Maybe, but you can always go out and learn what you need to know. The information in the blogs here and on the membership site are designed to help you with the knowledge.
- “I have no expertise so how can I possibly succeed?” Interesting how often the experts fail or only achieve moderate success. Remember the tortoise and hare and how the tortoise just kept going and he beat the hare who thought he had everything he needed to win so never watched the finish line.
- “I tried it once and failed”. Any idea how many times Branson failed? Bill Gates? Steve Jobs? Abraham Lincoln?
- “It looks too hard, I have no idea how to start“. Our fear prevents us from finding out how hard or easy something is so we avoid what we think we might fail at. For every successful person they started regardless of how difficult the task looked,
- “My family/friends will laugh at me if I try“. Right and what are they doing now. Are they keeping you down because if you succeed then they are afraid you will no longer need them or want them in your life? Your family is often afraid that if you succeed, they will become unimportant or you will have no time or desire to have them in your life any more, And if that is true, you need to help them know how important they are to you
- “No time right now“. We all have 24 hours in a day and some of us make different choices so that we can succeed. One rule I learned many years ago from Rita Davenport was the 4 D’s – Drop it, Delay it, Delegate it or Do it NOW.
- “Right now is the wrong time for me“. You can think that the time is wrong either for you idea or for you but the if you have the idea then the time is probably right and if the idea or offering keeps coming up, then maybe the time is right you just need to take the steps to move forward,
- “I lack the skills”. Interesting thing, skills can be developed. Like time, you only need to decide to do it and you will learn and develop the skills to do whatever you need to do to move forward
- “Why should I listen to your advise?” One thing about business is that there is ALWAYS something new to learn and you can never know everything or have the right answer. And remember, advise is just that, you can decide to use it or to reject it but you get to chose.
- “Yeah right, that may work for you but things never work out for me“. How you think and what you believe about yourself will determine if you succeed or fail. And if one person you admire can do it, the only thing stopping you from doing it is your desire. And competition grows the market more often. Just look at the android apps and cell phone markets. They keep growing and changing with something new every day.
Have fun with these and let me know in the comments what you thought. And if you think these are valuable, then please share this with your friends.
Passionately supporting your success